12 December 2006

So Much to be Thankful For!

This was definitely one of the best Thanksgivings ever! I was so glad Dennis and I got to make the trip to Alabama together. This was his first trip back to the States since we moved to Belgium in August 2004. The two weeks we were there flew by, but it was a great visit.

We arrived at the height of Alamaba football fever--Even our pilot updated everyone with the Alabama - Auburn score as we headed away from Atlanta towards the great state of Alabama. I laughed--we were truly back in the South! Once we arrived in the Huntsville airport, we were greeted in another truly American way--a man sitting with his family noticed Dennis' HU t-shirt and yelled toward us, "If you had studied harder, you could have made it to Pepperdine!" =) I love the US and the way people joke freely with each other! That something we miss in Belgium.


Mom and Dad hosted the Thanksgiving dinner at their house this year, and it was a full house! I was off the hook from kitchen duty this year, because I got the "big cousin" job! It's a tough job, but somebody's gotta do it... *wink wink* We played games, hiked through the woods (i found our clubhouse ...well, what's left of it!) And played on the old tire swing. I really had fun showing them all my old haunts.

Dinner was wonderful! All those great family traditions and comfort foods! Like mom's ham with aprocot stuffing, and grandma's sweet potato casserole! Mmm!

Later mom got out a pinata, which we rigged up in the hall for the kids. (I think we had as much fun watching as they did hitting and diving for candy!) The pinata later doubled as interesting hats...



But the kids weren't the only entertaining ones... (By the way, that's real china on their heads...not paper plates!)

To be continued... =) it's bedtime for me now

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amanda it was great seeing you at thanksgiving. We had a very buzy christmas with the new grandbaby and enjoyed every loss of sleep we had with her. we are going to try and get jon out to see you soon. please call and let us know what a convienant date is. Love aunt Trudy call 42358051542 and let us hear from you.